Monday, September 24, 2007

Khyber Pass + JASmart's Relaxation Cake...

...was near St. Mark's today dropping off my old powerbook to Julia @ Cooper's Square...decided to go for a little solo dinner as is my way when I want a little rejuvenation...

Last time I went to Khyber Pass (afghani food) was with Michael sometime in May or June this year--it was really empty, and for St Mark's well...that's just pretty damn surprising [granted it was a Sunday]. The food then was great, the service then was shit...both of which remained the same this time around.

I got the Shireen Palow: saffron rice with citrus zest, almonds, and pistachio with Cornish hen (kebab style). Also had dill with parsley, and some kind of spices maybe paprika. The Cornish hen is/was tender, moist inside, outside perfectly browned, golden and glistening. Hint of lemon, onions slightly cooked was also sweet but it contrasted with the sweetness from the saffron rice. Big notice was the almond flavor, and how good the citrus zest was--didn't have that bite/kick to it anymore, just almost like a candied feel.

Went to JASmart after and perused the sweets section as always. Saw this version of those little swiss rolls/cakes they always have and are always a go. Caught my eye b/c it reminded me of the 20 layer crepe cake @ Lady M's on the UES when Mike & I went up on our fancy-cakes hunt (I always eat well when Michael visits haha--and end up buying expensive shoes ;)) Now back to the JASmart cake...

I'm gonna need u to click on this and read what it says...it's almost "engrish.com" worthy, but a little more poignant and encouraging :P...

No comments: