Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Brunch w/ Claudia @ Five Leaves...

Sorry but this is gonna be a GIANT-ASS PHOTO mode of an entry for Five Leaves (yes, the Heath Ledger joint). There are so many textures that I want to articulate There's really nothing I can say that the pictures don't--honestly, in terms of freshness, texture, vibrancy of flavors...this is the only time I've felt the pictures leave me with little to elaborate on. My made up onomatopeia jargon isn't on par :P
beet salad @ five leaves...
Firstly--sugar beets and regular beets with arugula, some kind of yogurty vinaigrette. Possibly w/ some macadamia nuts--the purple-ness is purely from beets. Arugula > spinach > frisee for salads! actually no I take that back, frisee > spinach >> romaine >>>>>>>> iceberg lettuce -.- MMMmmm...this was more like beets with a splash of arugula but I thought I'd cover it up and make it look like a crazy nest :P
roasted tomatoes @ five leaves...
And.......then.........ROASTED TOMATERS!! u'd think it'd be a bit much to have a ton of roasted foods for brunch but this was *lightly* roasted, a *kiss* of fire if u will--not a tongue bath teeny bopper dress down of fire. A little sweet--can't remember all the spices, but it had a nice savory kick to it. Portions were good--we just...got thru a lot b/f I decided to take a photo :P
hash browns @ five leaves...
Hashbrowns--delightfully different in texture, seasoning, and form. A welcome change to breakfast/brunch hash that's all soggy and plain potato-y! No ketchup required/needed. WEE!! Then we have...an egg sammich!! This was a lighter take on egg sammiches...
egg sammich @ five leaves...
But as you can see, it's simple but well executed. Lightly seasoned. Not too savory. No bacon--nice herbs. YAY. We kind of...ordered a lot b/w the two of us but...it was kind of a long meal and def took stuff home :P And then there's....my....best....pancake...EVER. I mean look at it!! ^_^ so fluffy, so scrumptiously balanced and subtle!

I couldn't try this shot for a lot of frames b/c then my pancakes would be swimming in syrup (as light/not-overtly-viscous and touch of sweet as it is). :( But times like these I sure wish I had strobe equiment to get that globule of syrup touching down! Then again...that'd be a lot to lug around, esp to greenpoint-ish. :)
ricotta pancakes @ five leaves...
LOOK AT THAT DRIP!!! :) I was too lazy to...test it out further for the perfect globule prior to actual pouring, but either way--I was HUNGRY! That and pouring while snapping and balancing w/ slow iso is pretty tricky to maneuver.

:) *sigh*. LOVE. THESE. RiCOTTA PANCAKES.--looks like it was used with the nitrous oxide cream whipper, u know, notorious for all those fancy 'foams'/espume. Judiann had posted a demo of her using the whipper for iSi so that's how i...deduced!! Except maybe not I dunno--but this ish was thick and airy and wonderful!! and the SYRUP!!! as I mentioned in the Spoon brunch entry--this syrup was amazeballs. YES i said "amazeballs"!! Not too viscous (sorry purists!), i could just...suck it up in a beer hat all day--or, as mentioned, intravenously :D

1 comment:

Carolyn Siegel said...

amazing looking pancakes!!!!